Thank you for your interest in the Museum of Jewish Heritage. As a primary institution of public education about modern Jewish history and the Holocaust, we are one of the most meaningful museums in New York City. With 82,000 square feet of exhibition space, a collection of 25,000 objects, enlightening educational initiatives, and acclaimed public programs, there has never been a better time to be part of this dynamic educational environment.
The Museum is looking for energetic, creative, results-oriented professionals. The Museum employs individuals in a broad range of capacities across varied professions and specializations including fields of curatorship, registration, research, history, exhibitions, development, event planning, facilities, operations, public relations, marketing, education, public programs, customer service, finance, administration, information systems, human resources, and retail.
Apply your skills and experience to meet the needs of an influential museum with award-winning exhibitions, programs, and publications. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and champion diversity and equal opportunities. As an employer we are also committed to the professional development of all our staff.
The Museum also offers a generous package of benefits to its full time employees, including the following:
Paid vacation, sick, and personal leave
Medical Plan (including domestic partner coverage)
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)- Medical and Dependent Care
Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance
403(b) Savings Plan
Discounted gym membership with Crunch Fitness and New York Health and Racquet Club.
Short-term Disability Plan
Long-term Disability Plan
Employee Assistance Program (counseling/referral services)
Commuter Benefit Program
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions.
DIRECTOR OF COLLECTIONS & EXHIBITIONS
The Collections and Exhibitions department of the Museum of Jewish Heritage seeks a Director of Collections & Exhibitions to direct the Museum’s dynamic exhibitions program and oversee all collections-related activities.
- Oversee a large department and direct multiple activities simultaneously.
- Manage a staff of nine or more full-time employees and numerous volunteers.
- Establish and maintain a detailed department budget for some 30 areas of activity.
- Envision and implement an ambitious program of Jewish- and Holocaust-history exhibitions and other content-driven initiatives in fulfillment of the Museum’s mission.
The ideal candidate will be able to think broadly about how exhibitions and collections can enhance the Museum’s presence in communities and reach new audiences. S/he will have superior interpretive planning and exhibition development abilities, and will be skilled at all aspects of developing and managing original exhibitions, from identification of themes through concept planning, research in primary and secondary sources, artifact identification, script and label writing, and design and fabrication oversight including contracts, installations, and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will have a solid background in the content areas of the Museum: nineteenth and twentieth century Jewish history and the history of the Holocaust.
- An advanced degree in history, museum studies, Jewish studies, or related field is required.
- 7 years of curatorial experience.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Interpretive planning and exhibition development experience.
- Ability to manage complex projects and budgets.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research and analytical abilities.
- Reading knowledge of German, Hebrew, or Yiddish desired.
Send resume and letter of interest, including salary requirements, to Human Resources, Museum of Jewish Heritage – A Living Memorial to the Holocaust, 36 Battery Place, New York, NY 10280; fax: 646.437.4250; or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.