The Assistant Manager of Visitor Services and Museum Shop is responsible for overseeing the Museum’s Front Desk and Pickman Museum Shop. In addition to providing excellent customer service and building relationships with Museum visitors, the Assistant Manager will assist the Manager of Visitor Services and Museum Shop in supervising staff and in helping to ensure that Visitor Services and Shop operations run smoothly.
- Train and supervise Visitor Services and Shop staff in practical operations, facilitating a clear understanding of policies and procedures, programs across the Museum, and how to effectively communicate the Museum’s mission;
- Sell general admission, public program tickets, and memberships including processing cash/credit card transactions;
- Provide sales and inventory support to the Pickman Museum Shop, overseeing volunteers as needed
- Open, close, and reconcile daily cash drawers and box office, including the preparation of daily reports, deposits, and office statements following;
· Actively greet the public and provide an orientation to the Museum including distribution of and instruction on audio tour equipment and usage;
- Answer routine inquiries about the Museum’s exhibitions, amenities, programs, and membership as well as general inquiries about NYC (transit, dining, and destinations), including through phone calls to the Visitor Services desk;
- As needed, work with the Manager to address any staff or visitor issues in order to maintain excellence in customer service;
- Evaluate box office and attendance figures, and provide weekly reports to Museum leadership;
- Ensure that the coat room and Visitor Service areas are properly and neatly stocked; and
- Assist with other responsibilities as needed.
- Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 2+ years of customer service, sales, and/or box office experience, preferably within a Museum.
- Experience training and supervise employees.
- Excellent interpersonal, conflict resolution, and communication skills
- Highly organized and experience with CRM systems, familiarity with Altru preferred.
- Reports to the Manager of Visitor Services and Museum Shop
- Full-time, scheduled for 40 hours per week Monday – Friday, including Thursday evening. Flexibility may be needed for occasional Sundays.
- Onsite (non-hybrid) position
- Salary range: $50,000-$60,000 with generous benefits
The Museum of Jewish Heritage is an equal opportunity employer. As a cultural institution that teaches about the dangers of intolerance, the Museum is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism and inclusion in its hiring practices.
For consideration, qualified candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to: